WHAT IT TAKES TO SPEAK THE TRUTH by Precious C Philip
Speaking the truth is not an easy thing in the energy of the flesh, so also is standing up for the truth, standing with the truth, proclaiming the truth and defending the truth. Only those operating in the energy of the Holy Spirit can speak the truth. All born again Christians know that speaking the truth is the right thing to do, yet many still find it hard to speak the truth.
For instance, not many born again Christians today can boldly stand for, support, proclaim, defend, and declare openly that pre-marital sex is a sin on their social media pages. Not many can declare that "anyone who dies without Jesus will go to hell". Many cannot proclaim on their social media pages that abortion is a sin, lying is a sin, cohabitation is a sin; smoking, drinking alcohol, clubbing, watching pornography, masturbation, adultery, indecent dressing, listening to corrupt worldly music, watching demonic and sexually explicit movies is a sin. Why is this so? This is what we're about to find out in this article.
Born again Christians know that Jesus is the Truth (John 14:6) and the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth (John 16:13), so speaking the truth is pleasing the Holy Spirit; supporting the truth is supporting Jesus; standing up for the truth is standing up for Jesus; standing with the truth is standing with Jesus; upholding the truth is upholding Jesus; celebrating the truth is celebrating Jesus; yet many born again Christians find this to be a tall order.
They know very well that sex before marriage is a sin but they cannot confidently declare and uphold this on social media. They know that listening to corrupt secular music, watching romantic/sexually provocative movies, tweaking on social media, indecent dressing, smoking, abortion, cohabitation, watching porn, masturbation, adultery and homosexuality are all immoral, yet they cannot speak against these things that is prevalent in our world on social media; many of them would rather use the energy meant for this to speak against pastors, speak against tithing and giving, speak against their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ... What a shame! What a pity!
Sadly, non-Christians and those who're not born again are not relenting nor slacking in publicizing pornography; upholding cohabitation (living together before marriage), encouraging sex before marriage and adultery in their movies, musical videos, TV shows, comedy skits; legalizing divorce and homosexuality; advertising smoking, drinking, clubbing and partying; spreading and broadcasting corrupt secular music, romantic movies, demonic films, sexually immoral TV programmes, and lewd comedy skits. Hmm! It is quite an irony that those with the truth are afraid to publicize the truth, while those with lies are proudly publicizing it.
Well, below are some of the main reasons you may find it difficult to speak the truth as a born again Christian:
1. Being controlled by the flesh instead of the Holy Spirit. Galatians 5:16 says "So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves." You need to yeild more to the Holy Spirit and do what He says. Obey His voice. Obey His instructions. Remember, the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth. If you're submissive, loyal, and obedient to Him, you'll automatically find yourself speaking, upholding and defending the truth.
2. Having the spirit of fear. You need the spirit of boldness to replace the spirit of fear in you. Ask for the filling of the Holy Spirit and ask the Holy Spirit to embolden you in the place of heartfelt prayers to be bold and speak the truth like He emboldened the apostles of old: "When they had prayed, the place where they were assembled was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak God's message with boldness" (Acts 4:31). Also, eat this scripture- meditate on it until you fully grasp the truth in it, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7
3. This might seem funny but if you borrow a lot from people, you'll really find it hard to speak the truth always, because you're being careful not to offend your lenders in order to keep receiving monetary assistance from them whenever you ask them. So this kind of hinders you from speaking the truth so you don't offend people who assist you - especially financially. This is the big disadvantage of borrowing. According to Proverbs 22:7, the borrower is servant to the lender. A servant would never want to offend his master because of what he receives from him. So also, you'll not want to offend those you borrow from with the truth because of what you receive from them.
If you constantly beg from people, you'll also find it hard to tell people the truth because you're afraid that if you do, they'll get offended and will not give to you when you beg from them.
4. You don't truly love people. John 8:32 says that the knowledge of the truth is what sets people free. If you possess genuine love for people, you would want them to know the truth in order to be free. Being shy to tell people the truth, being ashamed to let people know the truth is evident that you do not sincerely love them. Your friend or someone close to you is on their way to hell with the sinful lifestyle they're living and you cannot tell them the truth that if they die in that lifestyle they're going to hell unless they repent and embrace the love of Jesus and live holy, you do not really love them. If you do, you'll not keep silent nor comfort them with lies. No wonder Proverbs 26:28 says, "A lying tongue hates its victims, and flattering words cause ruin." Good News Version puts it simply: "You have to hate someone to want to hurt him with lies. Insincere talk brings nothing but ruin".
5. If you're not living a righteous life as a born again Christian, you'll find it difficult to speak the truth. Of course, you can't boldly tell people to do what is right when you're not doing what is right. You cannot preach and uphold right living when you're not living right. Therefore, you must live righteously to have the confidence and boldness to tell others to live righteous.
6. If you're living a hypocritical life: practicing fake godliness, sham holiness and engaging in secret sins, you can't have the boldness to preach the truth because you know deep down that you're not living the truth. Guilty conscience will prevent you from declaring the truth. You need a clean conscience to boldly preach the truth.
7. If you have too many friends or keep too many close friends, it might be difficult for you to speak the truth because you're afraid of hurting your friends with the truth. You'll either be feeding them lies, be bias in your judgement, silence the truth or keep mute. The Bible actually never encourages us to keep too many friends. Infact it says in Proverbs 18:24 "A man of too many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." What the Bible commands is that we love all men, not to befriend all men; this could probably be the reason why.
Accept the truths shared in this article and be free from timidity, fear and cowardice in speaking the truth.