My Secrets To Overcoming Temptations ~ Precious C Philip


Although the devil is not wise, he is smart to know the kind of temptation to dangle before any Christian that they may struggle to resist. But even though the devil is smart, God is wise. And wisdom presides over smartness. So, God in His wisdom has made provision for every one of His children to overcome any temptation the devil throws at them. That is why the bible says in 1 Corinthians 10:13 (AMP) "No temptation [regardless of its source] has overtaken or enticed you that is not common to human experience [nor is any temptation unusual or beyond human resistance]; but God is faithful [to His word—He is compassionate and trustworthy], and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability [to resist], but along with the temptation He [has in the past and is now and] will [always] provide the way out as well, so that you will be able to endure it [without yielding, and will overcome temptation with joy]." Hallelujah!

From the above scripture we see that our loving God never allows us to be tempted beyond our ability to resist or flee from any temptation. So any temptation that ever comes to you, you have been actually enabled by God to overcome it. It is the devil that sells the lie to you that "this temptation is irresistible", like the temptation to engage in pre-marital sex or to listen to corrupt worldly music.

It is sad that many born again Christians believe some temptations are irresistible, thereby indirectly calling God a liar who said in 1 Corinthians 10:13 that He will never allow any of His children to be tempted beyond their ability to resist. If you have this erroneous belief, please drop it today. I'm sure you do not want to call God a liar, so don't imply that God is a liar with the kind of statements you make or beliefs you hold.

Below are some of the things that helps me resist temptations from the devil:

1. Relying on the power and help of the Holy Spirit and receiving His grace and strength daily in prayers to overcome temptations and flee from temptations I am required to literally flee from. E.g fleeing from sexual immoral adverts on social media or immoral videos shown on TV or immoral scenes shown on some western movies.

2. Knowing what God's word says about anything I can possibly be tempted with: to envy, to gossip, to hold back forgiveness, to lust, to hate, to fornicate, to lie, to be bitter and angry, to slander, to listen to corrupt music, ... It is the Scripture you have read, meditated upon and stored in your heart that the Holy Spirit will immediately display before you when you're tempted and the power in the scripture will be released to help you overcome the temptation. Therefore, the importance of knowing scriptures in overcoming temptations can't be overemphasized. No wonder David said in Psalm 119:11 "Your word I have treasured and stored in my heart, That I may not sin against You."

3. Knowing the importance of having God's presence in my life. You need God's presence in your life to be all that you are created to be. If you have this knowledge and are conscious of it, you cannot easily give in to temptations because you seek to retain the presence of God with you and not lose His presence to sin and immorality. God cannot stand sin, so His presence is repelled by sin. 

4. Knowing that for every temptation I yield to, there is an unpleasant consequence/repercussion that I will face deters me from giving in to temptations. God will forgive you when you ask for forgiveness, but certain sins have consequences that you'll bear or live with the rest of your life on earth even after God has forgiven you. E.g the stigma attached with prostitution - even after you're born again, many will still refer to you as an ex-prostitute. You also want to avoid dealing with guilt (you know how tormenting that feeling is). Also, I'm sure you don't like having to always go before God to ask for forgiveness every now and then after sinning (you know how that makes you feel you are mocking God and taking His grace, love, forgiveness and mercy for granted).

5. Fasting and prayer helps me too. Fast and pray as often as you can to empower your spirit to resist temptations. If your spirit is stronger and healthier than your flesh, you will overpower and suppress the sinful desires of your flesh (body) and bring your will, emotions, mind (soul) under submission to the will of God. You should fast and pray [on your own] at least once a week; if you can go twice or more than that, it is super good. Fasting and prayer deadens the flesh and empowers your spirit. If you do not fast and pray as a child of God, you'll really find it difficult to resist temptations because your spirit would be weak to do what is right while your flesh would be strong to do what is wrong.

6. A good fellowship and intimate relationship with the Holy Spirit as my Helper on earth also helps me overcome temptations. Because I know the Holy Spirit is my Helper, I don't want to grieve Him or quench His power, and thereby lose His irreplaceable help, support and assistance. All I do, all I am, is only possible through the help of the Holy Spirit. I love the Holy Spirit that I cannot live and thrive without Him. He is my Best Friend. Therefore, I earnestly fight temptations to sin because I want to keep pleasing the Holy Spirit, so as to remain in good relationship with Him and keep enjoying His matchless love and help to prosper and be successful on earth.

7. Knowing that I MUST not miss heaven. I've preached against sin, hell fire, satan, his demons, and his kingdom, and I'm still preaching. If I should miss heaven, the torture I'll receive from the devil and his demons would be unspeakable. And if I should miss the rapture, the shame, mockery, ridicule and disgrace I'll receive from unbelievers and sinners around me would be too great to bear. So, I strive to make heaven and flee from all that has the capacity to make me miss heaven - that after preaching the Gospel to save others - I myself will not be a castaway. 

8. I know beyond doubt that heaven is real and I want to get there. I know also that hell fire is real and I want to escape spending eternity there. Actually, the most important thing that helps me flee from sinful temptations is: I really want to see God and behold Him face to face, hug Him, be in His arms and enjoy His love forever. It is His love for me and the fatherly relationship I have with Him on earth that makes life sweet and enjoyable for me. How then can I spend eternity without Him and His love? I would die again and again. I can't bear it. Therefore, knowing that to be with God the Father forever and reign with Christ in the new heaven and new earth that is coming - I need holy living and righteous living on earth, I try my best to eschew sin in all its forms, so that I can be with God forever. I love God. No pleasure of sin or material possessions on earth is worth me losing God for.

Those are some of the things that helps me say "No" to sinful temptations and say "Yes" to righteousness.

Remember this: If you ever fall into any temptation, don't dwell in self pity and live in guilt and regrets the rest of your life. Rise up and ask God for mercy and forgiveness and receive strength from Him to continue to walk on the path of righteousness.
Isaiah 40:29 says, "God gives strength to those who grow tired and increases the strength of those who are weak."

Shalom.

Comments


Popular Posts

POPULAR POSTS

NEED HELP?

Name

Email *

Message *